Top of the page

Social Security / Tax File Number (‘My Number’) System

Social media links will open in a new window


What is 'My Number'?

A 12-digit number which will be issued to every individual with a Resident Register (住民票 Jūminhyo). Even foreign nationals, provided they have a Resident Register, will be issued with a 'My Number.'


To increase efficiency and transparency of the social security and taxation systems, and bring about the realization of a more convenient, fair and equal society for all residents.

Types of government operations to which the 'My Number' will apply

The system will be introduced in three areas, namely social security, taxation, and disaster countermeasures.


A notification card (通知カード tsūchi-kādo) with your “My Number” will be sent to the address listed on your Certificate of Residence (juminhyo) from the beginning of October to the end of November, 2015 as registered mail.

Use of the 'My Number' system will begin in January, 2016. Individual number cards (個人番号カード kojin-bangō-kādo) will be issued upon request from this time.


Please keep the notification card in a safe place, and do not disclose your number to anyone except for government- and employment-related procedures.

Please see the following for detailed information about the system.

Call Center

Inquiries about the “My Number” System

National Government “My Number” General Inquiry Hotline

Phone: 0120-0178-26 (FreeCall)

*Service available in English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, and Portuguese.

*Available on weekdays from 09:30 to 20:00, and weekends and holidays from 09:30 to 17:30 (excluding the year change period)